Thursday, June 10, 2010

Habits-Changing of the mind.....

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about choices that I make.  Choices in what I do with my time is the focus.
I am finding that if my time is not occupied with active, body moving, creative things, I wind up in the kitchen.  Now mind you, the kitchen is a warm inviting place, but it is also a death trap.
I did a "deep cleansing" of the refrigerator and the freezer.  It is empty, basically.
Except, now I have lots of fresh produce, , fruit and very few condiments.
My friend Gladys Wyant's son was hanging in front of the refrigerator when he was a teen home from school  and said " Mom, there is nothing in here but condiments!" 
I thought oh my goodness, mine is the same way! Needed another refrigerator for I thought I was out of space!
So why do we junk up with so many kinds of mustards, pickles, sauces, salsas, and the like? I think these items add a spark to otherwise dull tasting food.
So, I have made a trek into the spice rack for embellishment and put lime/lemon juice on everything.  I have now gotten away from pickles and things that even has the mention of sugar.  They are pitfalls and even though you eat only a few, they rev you up to have an increased appetite and you eat more than you should. Don't get me wrong, I love a great dark stone ground mustard, but that may be the problem.  I am putting too much emphasis on food embellishment and not enjoying the flavor of the food itself.


After cleaning out the fridge, I then set about looking at what my mindset was about food.
I had to re-boot.  Change the rut, even though tasty, had to make some changes.
So here we go with my first steps.


Suggestions:
1)  Change of modality:  In my changing of "food-style". I have moved our dining place from the big dining area to the porch. We spend more time eating and viewing the alpacas in the  pasture and talking. When we finish eating we just sit for a few more minutes rather than racing to see the news cast, which by the way repeats itself for you, or maybe the movie.


2) I also have removed anything that is fat except the olive oil.
3) Plan ahead
4) Do not let yourself get ravenous. A bitch wolf cannot be hungrier that I sometimes!
5) As said before, clean out the refrigerator and freezer down to the shelf and add back only good stuff.


The main thing in this mind-set change is to stop thinking about food,
.......or the next meal,
........... or what I am missing at the club,
..................or the Mexican restaurant.
Just stop thinking about it and think of something else.
Clean a closet, go on a road trip.
Bathe the grand-babe, bathe the dog. Plant some herbs, groom the roses, get out of the house or turn off the lights in the kitchen.  It is closed !!! til meal time.
Simple? Heavens no. It is awful. but my friend Brooke tells me that in a battle there is a winner and a loser.  When your selfishness beats/wins over your will and you eat improperly, you actually lose. So in the battle you are a loser.  Got to change the scenario here and reverse this crap of a resolve.

Check back to see if this works!


Another piece of the puzzle?

1 comment:

  1. Good post, we've been changing our thinking about food slowly over the past few years as well. Growing a garden certainly gives food for your belly but also food for thought. More organic closer to home food cant be a bad thing right? Dont get me started on the "just in time delivery system" we have in place and the discount walmart produce.

    ReplyDelete